Smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain

In my last post I talked about goals. One of my goals for 2017 was to get a Weber Smokey mountain (get yours HERE!). Well, I am proud to say that I accomplished that goal! I found a good deal on craigslist last weekend for the 18 inch model. Do I wish I had the 22”? Yes. Am I mad? Absolutely not! For my first smoke I decided to try out brisket. They say that a brisket is the hardest meat to cook so why not start there?



A brisket sitting on a Weber Smokey Mountain
Brisket on Weber Smokey Mountain

Saturday I went to a local meat market in Longwood, Florida and picked up a 14 pound packer brisket. It was a beast. However, I knew I could do it though. I watched many of T-Roy Cooks Youtube videos so I had the confidence. I started by lighting up about 10 Kingsford Original charcoals in a charcoal starter. Then dumping them in the center of a bed of charcoal. This is called the minion method. T-Roy Cooks explains that the hot coals will slowly start the coals around them and allow you to not have to tend the fire so much. After adding the hot charcoal I threw a couple pieces of hickory wood chunks and I filled the water pan with water and then went inside to prepare the brisket while the smoker heated up to 225. I trimmed about 1 pound, maybe more, of fat from the brisket. This is when I noticed that my knife was dull and I needed to send it in for sharpening, hahaha. I used a rub made by Four Rivers Smokehouse called “Brisket Rub”. It’s pretty much salt, pepper, garlic powder. After coating both sides in the rub I went outside and put the brisket on the smoker grate fat side up. I had to squish it together to fit on the 18.5 inch cooking surface. I was able to get it fit though. Thank goodness. By now it is 7:30 PM. Around 8:30 PM the smoker reached 225. I shut down the three air vents on the bottom a little under half way and left the top vent wide open.  I sat there and watched the temperature keep going up to 250. I had to close the vents all the way to choke it of air. Finally the Weber Smokey Mountain came down to 225. I figured out the adjustments needed to keep it steady at 225 and I went inside to go to sleep. I set my alarm for 5:00 AM. Somehow I managed to sleep though my alarm and woke up at 7:00 AM. I jumped out of bed and ran outside to the smoker. I reached the smoker and let out a sigh of relief. The brisket was not done yet therefore it was not overcooked like I was worried about. However, the smoker did drop to 200 degrees over night. An easy solution is to open up the bottom vents all the way open to allow more air. Around 9:30 the brisket hit 195 and I pulled it from the smoker, wrapped it in foil and placed it in a cooler to rest. I went for a bicycle ride that was cut short due to Hurricane Irma knocking over trees and blocking the local trail. Sadly, I went home showered and grabbed the brisket at 1:00 PM. Slowly, I unwrapped the brisket from the towel as I did not want to damage the bark that took all night to produce. What was inside was an amazing beautiful brisket. It was delicious. I wish you all could have tasted brisket. In the end I learned that a brisket is not difficult to smoke at all. Actually, it is quite simple with the Weber Smokey Mountain.